Friday, March 23, 2012

Why People Give?

During the conference , a book was suggested called "The Spirituality of Fundraising" by Henri Nouwen.  Since the conference was such an inspiration, I felt I needed to tap into this new realm of spirituality. 

When hearing about giving and donating money within the church, reasons for motivation to give have been varied...

Some drive the obedience factor citing many Bible verses and using the ever-taboo word "tithe" (which actually only means tenth, not that menacing of a word, really). 

Another angle that some make is giving to avert a crisis and be able to keep a ministry or organization from having to close its doors.  While this may be the case in an organization, making that the purpose to give is a dangerous approach that would result in risky results, especially long-term. 

Others present the "give and God will bless you" perspective. Now, one of my favorite Bible passages is in 2 Peter 1 where it is stated that God's  "divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life."  There are also many verses that attest to the results of blessing when people give generously.  Still, if giving to get something back is the only reason we give, there is a missing piece.  

From the book by Nouwen: "Fundraising (or giving) is a subject we seldom think about from a spiritual perspective.  We may think of fundraising (or giving) as a necessary but unpleasant activity to support spiritual things.  Or we might believe that fundraising reflects a failure to plan well or to trust enough that God will provide for all our needs," (p. 14)

As I have been diving into the world of fundraising and learning how to tap into the hearts of generous givers to see why people give, I have been seeing some interesting and empowering motivations.

Can you imagine a world where people give, not only out of obedience... not only out of faith that God will provide their needs... not only out of pity for a struggling endeavor... but because they truly believe in the mission of what they are giving to, feel that their dollars are being used towards a noble work that is either making a difference or making a change in lives benefiting from the organization, and perhaps even feel that their money allows them to participate and enter into a mutually beneficial partnership with the organization/ministry they have invested in. 

As Nouwen states, "Fundraising is a way of announcing our vision and inviting other people into our mission."  He goes on to say, "When we seek to raise funds we are not saying, 'Please, could you help us out because lately, it's been hard.'  Rather, we are declaring, 'We have a vision that is amazing and exciting.  We are inviting you to invest yourself through the resources that God has given you-your energy, your prayers, and your money-in this work to which God has called us,'" (p.16-17)

Now, to me, that's a reason to give!  

The reason I began to give to Lutherlyn (with some good sit-down encouraging by Jim Cunningham, the Development Director) was because I truly believed in the mission here and I believed that my money was helping to provide opportunities for others to experience the Life Changing Adventures in Faith that I have been so privileged to experience.  

I have found that I am not alone in this perspective.  With every passing week here, I am meeting and seeing people who just love and believe in this place.  It is amazing to know that there are people here that their dreams are fulfilled when they know that their money is being used to effect change in the lives of campers.What a great thing to be involved with!  To give, just from knowing the difference that will be made in the lives of others because of the gift, sounds a lot like Someone we know...

"14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” (John 10-14-18 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment