Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Much Needed Inspiration and Direction

Earlier this month I was able to join the Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE) to serve as a source of education, direction, and networking.  ALDE holds an annual conference each year with workshops led by seasoned development professionals and leaders from throughout their organization and the country.  I was grateful to be able to attend this year's conference in Minneapolis. 

I was pleasantly surprised that Minneapolis did not experience any snow during my stay.  It was even above freezing through much of the time!  I was thoroughly impressed by the Skyway which linked over 70 blocks together through a second-level series of lobbies, shops, and enclosed bridges.  Perhaps it was more intriguing than the Mall of America. 

The conference began with Registration and a Newcommers Orientation which gave me a green Newcommer ribbon that assured me I would be taken care of extra special (and I was!).  This meeting was just a small introduction to the conference and my ALDE regional chapter.  From there I attended an Early Career Affinity meeting that was a great basic introduction into the world of Development and a great place to meet other people new to the profession. 

The next few days were full of workshops, times to talk and bounce ideas off of others, and time to get tools to better do development.  The best part of the conference for me was actually not an official part of the conference.  Gronlund Sayther Brunkow (GSB), an association of non-profit consultants who assist organizations (mostly in capital campaigns) was having a 35-year anniversary gala.  Lutherlyn received an invitation due to the fact that we use GSB services when we underwent our new Dining Hall campaign in the 1990's.  The speakers were phenomenal and such an inspiration.  It really inspired me, helped me to see the ministry that fundraising really is, and allowed me to understand the mutual, interdependent partnership that is involved in fundraising between donors and the organization. 

Overall, the conference was a beautiful balance of education, inspiration and networking.  The things I learned while at the conference will help me build a solid foundation for this career.  I will look to share some of the inspirational perspectives I learned in later posts.  I already purchased a book by Henri Nouwen titled "The Spirituality of Fundraising " which was recommended to be a great piece to guide me in my work.

Thank you ALDE for a great experience!  

No comments:

Post a Comment