Monday, January 16, 2012

The Road to Here (Part Two)

After that first summer, I had a lot of self-discovery to do.  Even though I had spent an entire summer at a church camp, I still was no closer to God.  Subconsciously, I was more open.  It took a friend to invite me to a local youth group for me to truly open myself to God.  From there I had to grow up, naturally as well as spiritually.   

I was able to come back to camp zealous about my new life in God, yet unsure how to express it and how to properly maintain it at a healthy level throughout the entire summer.  I left that summer burned out.  Not really considering the average tenure of a summer staffer is only 1.5-2 summers, I still became hooked on working at camp.  I returned for a third summer.  Almost every summer I would feel the end has come and it was my last.  I even took off one summer just to realize what I missed out on and came back the next year.  After my sixth summer I was not offered a position to return.  The assistant director at the time felt it was perhaps time for me to move on and pursue new horizons.  I spent that summer at a large Atlanta-based day camp.  It was a great experience, but not the same.  I ended up coming back for a seventh and eighth summers following that year.  Maybe people just understood and accepted that I was just going to be a part of this place.

During these last two summers I was able to become acquainted with the Development Director.  He was able to show me the benefits of joining the annual donors club, Trinity Pines.  During my last summer, I was able to work a little more closely with him, learning some development areas with my Bachelor's internship.

I went on from that summer to move only an hour away to pursue my Master's degree,  The program was designed as a calendar-year in and out degree.  This unfortunately limited my ability to work summer number nine (though I was tempted to somehow make it work).  I settled to volunteer whenever I could and visit all the more.

I knew that camp ministry was something I felt called to do, probably from my second summer as a staffer.  I had been trying to get my foot in the door to some full-time opportunity since that time.  When I discovered I needed more education, I went and got it.  When the doors weren't open, I kept myself busy and continued attending school.

A few opportunities were afforded me when I was about to graduate from my Master's program.  I had a few phone interviews and was also invited to North Carolina for a program director position at a camp led by my camp's Assistant Director from the 1980's and 90's.  No offers.

I ended up moving south to Florida to try and find new opportunities and a new home.  I landed a job working for an employment agency working as an employment consultant and later a case manager.  Though this job was not included my long-term goals, I was able to gather some very valuable knowledge through my associations with some amazing professionals.  I was able to gain a lot of insight into the world of non-profit work.

In June of last year (2011) I flew up to volunteer another week at camp.  I was able to work with the Staff-in-Training (SIT) program the previous two summers and was asked to come back to lead it once again.  During that visit I found out that Jim, the Development Director was announcing his retirement to be early the next year.  I asked who was possibly in line to succeed him.  Hopefull, I suggested myself.

A month later I got a call from the executive director stating my name came up in a discussion concerning the Development Director position and he felt led to give me a call.  I sent my résumé along with a cover letter and we were scheduled to get into discussions shortly.  It wasn't until many delays and months before I was offered the position in December.  So, not even moving to Florida could keep me away from camp!

I spent last month completing my affairs in Florida, packed myself up, and moved back to the north to begin my first full-time position in camping ministry.

It has been a wild ride and I am very thankful to God, for all the people I have crossed paths with, and experience I have had throughout the last eleven years that has been preparing me for this moment.  I am very excited to move forward working for a camp that I love and cherish.

I pray that I can be a dynamic instrument in assuring the mission of camp is done and be an intergal part of the future for this amazing community of faith.    

No comments:

Post a Comment